How to create SharePoint custom user profile property searchable in people search
Custom user profile properties of SharePoint online are not searchable out of the box, it becomes important to search those properties when you create a SharePoint employee directory for your organization, or you want to use custom fields in any of the SharePoint Intranet’s web part.
In this post we will go through the steps of creating a custom user profile attribute that is searchable and shows on the user profile in SharePoint online. It’s not very hard, however, involves a few steps to keep track of. This is written for SharePoint, moreover, could be applicable to SharePoint 2013/2016/2019 as well.
Let’s start with the instructions on how to make custom properties searchable in SharePoint.
It is presumed that you have SharePoint administrator permissions to perform these steps
1) Navigate to SharePoint admin center using the below link https://
2) Go to SharePoint Admin > User Profiles > Manage User Properties and create new property. Refer screenshot (a), (b), (c)
3) Update profile for one user. refer screenshot (d)
4) Go to SharePoint Admin > Search > Manage search schema > Crawled Properties and wait until the new property shows up. Have patience as this may take a little while (anything from 15 mins to four hours). refer screenshot (e)
5) Go to SharePoint Admin > Search > Manage Search Schema > Manage Properties and create a new managed Properties with the following settings:
Click Advanced Searchable Settings and select PeopleIdx in the popup window
Click the blue button “Add a Mapping” and find the crawled property we just created Refer screenshot (f),(g)
Suggestion: If you are looking for employee directory or readily available Office 365 or Microsoft 365 employee directory you can refer here SharePoint Employee Directory I Best SPFX Teams App HR365
Credits & feedback: Happy knowledge sharing by HR365, in case you have feedback, please share your inputs by clicking our feedback link here Got Any Questions (hr365.us)
Mail Box Steps to RUN PowerShell Script 1) PowerShell Version Please
User photos aren’t synced from the on-premises Active Directory to Employee Directory Plus after selecting Sync Outlook profile pictures.
User Photos Aren’t Synced From The On-Premises Active Directory To
Update Mobile Numbers in Employee Directory Plus Using Power Shell Script
Update Mobile Numbers In Employee Directory Plus Using Power Shell
Admin Guide – Employee Directory
Admin Guide – Employee Directory Knowledge Base Share on facebook